The Markup Suggestions window pane lets you see a list of files where the XHTML markup (code) can be improved (e.g., empty tags, CDATA tags, empty attributes, excessive spaces). When Analyzer finds markup issues, there are a couple of ways that you can "clean them up." First, you can click the Apply button in the local toolbar to automatically apply the suggestions to the selected files. Alternatively, you can double-click a row to open that file and work on the issues manually. You may be able to fix some issues for a specific file in the XML Editor. Other issues may require you to open the behind-the-scenes code in the Internal Text Editor.
- Open a project.
Do one of the following, depending on the part of the user interface you are using:
Ribbon Select the View ribbon. In the Dynamic Reports section, select Suggestions>Markup Suggestions.
Analyzer Summary Window Pane Double-click the row that mentions markup suggestions.
The Markup Suggestions window pane opens.
To see more of the information in the window pane, drag the divider bar to make the pane wider:
- Suggestion Displays the suggestion to resolve the issue (e.g., "Remove empty attribute," "Make single space").
- Tag Displays the tag where the issue occurs (e.g., img, p, h1, li).
- Context Displays the context of the issue in question. For example, if the issue is that a tag has an empty attribute, this shows the tag and name of the attribute within it.
- File Displays the name of the file.
- Title Displays the properties title of the file (if any).
- Folder Displays the folder where the file is found.
If a certain number of items have been found, page navigation buttons in the local toolbar may be enabled. You can use these buttons to go to additional pages to display more items. You also have the option to view all items at once in one long list. This is called the View All option. You can toggle these views by clicking the View All/View as Pages button in the local toolbar. The button displays the opposite of whatever view is currently activated (e.g., If the View All option is currently active, the button shows View as Pages to indicate that if clicked, the button will switch the window pane to the View as Pages option).
- View the markup suggestions.
- In the Markup Suggestions window pane, select all issues that you want to resolve. If you want to select all rows click . You can hold the SHIFT key to select a range, or you can hold the CTRL key to select individual items.
In the local toolbar, click the Apply button.
- A message asks if you want to apply the selected suggestions. Click OK.
- If your Backups folder is not empty, a message asks if you want to empty it and continue. If so, click OK.
Click OK once more.
- View the markup suggestions.
You can open any file in the list to view or modify it in an editor. You can open the file in the Analyzer interface or in the Flare project.
to open the file in the analyzer interface
Double-click the file in the window pane. The benefit of using this method is that it is quick and convenient. You have access to the features normally available in the editor (but not necessarily to all of the features available elsewhere in Flare).
to open the file in flare
- In the window pane, click on the file.
- Select File>Send to Flare.
The benefit of using this method is that you have access to all of the features in the application, not just those available from the editor.
- If necessary, you can open the file in the Internal Text Editor to work directly in the markup