You can view a list of non-XML files (e.g., HTML files) that have been added to your project. You can also convert those HTML files to XHTML files in a single batch.
Let's say that you have many HTML files that you want to add to your Flare project. So you copy and paste them into the Windows folder where your project is stored (i.e., within the Content folder). If you were to try to open each of those files within the Flare project, a dialog would open, directing you to convert each HTML file to an XHTML file (one at a time). However, if you have hundreds of these files, you may not want to take the time to convert each one individually. So instead, you open the Flare project in Analyzer so that you can view a list of all of the non-XML files in the project. Then you can quickly convert the entire list of HTML files to XHTML files.
- Open a project.
Do one of the following, depending on the part of the user interface you are using:
Ribbon Select the View ribbon. In the Dynamic Reports section select More Reports>Non-XML Topics.
- Analyzer Summary Window Pane Double-click the row that mentions these items.
The Non-XML Topics window pane opens, listing all non-XML files in the project.
- To see more of the information in the window pane, drag the divider bar to make the pane wider:
- Apply Displays a check box next to the files. If you decide to convert the non-XML file to XML, you need to make sure the check box is selected. If you do not want to convert the file, but you do want to convert other files in the list, you can click the check box to remove the check mark.
- File Displays the name of the non-XML file.
- Title Displays the title of the non-XML topic (if any).
- Folder Displays the folder where the file is found.
If a certain number of items have been found, page navigation buttons in the local toolbar may be enabled. You can use these buttons to go to additional pages to display more items. You also have the option to view all items at once in one long list. This is called the View All option. You can toggle these views by clicking the View All/View as Pages button in the local toolbar. The button displays the opposite of whatever view is currently activated (e.g., If the View All option is currently active, the button shows View as Pages to indicate that if clicked, the button will switch the window pane to the View as Pages option).
- In the window pane, select all files that you want to convert. If you want to select all rows click . You can hold the SHIFT key to select a range, or you can hold the CTRL key to select individual items.
- In the local toolbar, click the Convert Topics button.
- In the message that opens, click OK. If you selected a single topic row only, the HTML to XHTML Conversion dialog opens. Click Convert.
If you selected multiple topic rows, another message lets you know how many files were changed. Click OK. All of the selected files are converted to XHTML files.
Note: If you want to undo the conversions, you can use the Backups window pane (View>Backups).
See Restoring Backup Files.
Note: You can also include this information in reports that you create.
Note: If you are unable to open a file, it is possible that the file has invalid XML code (e.g., unclosed tags, starting tag is uppercase with a lowercase end tag). When you have files with invalid XML, they are added to the non-XML Topics window pane. Files such as these can be fixed by validating the file in Analyzer. See Validating XML Files.