You can view regular text that matches existing variables in your project, and then quickly convert these occurrences to variables. You can also double-click a row to open the topic in question, with the potential variable text highlighted.
- Open a project.
Do one of the following, depending on the part of the user interface you are using:
Ribbon Select the View ribbon. In the Dynamic Reports section, select Variable Suggestions.
- Analyzer Summary Window Pane Double-click the row that mentions variable suggestions.
The Variable Suggestions window pane opens, listing all of the variable suggestions for the project.
- To see more of the information in the window pane, drag the divider bar to make the pane wider:
- Apply Displays a check box next to the variable suggestion. If you decide to replace the content with the suggested variable, you need to make sure the check box is selected. If you do not want to replace the content with the variable, but you do want to replace other content in the list, you can click the check box to remove the check mark.
- Suggestion Displays the suggestion that Analyzer is making to you (i.e., "Replace with Variable").
- Type Displays the name of the variable set and the name of the variable (e.g., Primary.CompanyName).
- Context Displays the context of the variable in question. In other words, it displays words that are found before the variable tag.
- File Displays the path and name of the file where the content in question is found.
- Folder Displays the folder where the file is found.
If a certain number of items have been found, page navigation buttons in the local toolbar may be enabled. You can use these buttons to go to additional pages to display more items. You also have the option to view all items at once in one long list. This is called the View All option. You can toggle these views by clicking the View All/View as Pages button in the local toolbar. The button displays the opposite of whatever view is currently activated (e.g., If the View All option is currently active, the button shows View as Pages to indicate that if clicked, the button will switch the window pane to the View as Pages option).
Do one of the following, depending on whether you want to convert multiple suggestions to a variable simultaneously, or if you want to convert only one suggestion at a time.
to convert multiple suggestions simultaneously
- In the window pane, select all suggestions that you want to convert. If you want to select all rows click . You can hold the SHIFT key to select a range, or you can hold the CTRL key to select individual items.
- In the local toolbar, click the Apply button.
- In the message that opens, click OK. Another message lets you know how many files were changed.
Click OK. All of the selected suggestions are converted to
Note: If you want to undo the conversions, you can use the Backups window pane (View>Backups).
See Restoring Backup Files.
to convert one suggestion at a time
- In the
VariableSuggestions window pane, select the row that you want to convert to a variable.
- Select File>Send to Flare. The file opens in the application with the suggested content highlighted.
In Flare, insert the
variable(e.g., select Insert>Variable).
See the online Help in Flare for more information about inserting