You can view a list of variables that have been inserted in your project. The list shows not only the variables, but each topic where they have been used. You can also quickly rename or remove multiple variable occurrences in a single batch.
- Open a project.
Select the View ribbon. In the Dynamic Reports section, select Used Items>Used Variables.
The Used Variables window pane opens, listing all of the variables used throughout the project, including snippet variables.
- To see more of the information in the window pane, drag the divider bar to make the pane wider:
- Variable Displays the name of the variable set and the variable within it. The variable set is listed first, followed by a period and then the name of the variable (e.g., Primary.CompanyName).
- File Displays the name of the file.
- Title Displays the properties title of the file (if any).
- Folder Displays the folder where the file is found.
- Tag Displays the tag being used by the
If a certain number of items have been found, page navigation buttons in the local toolbar may be enabled. You can use these buttons to go to additional pages to display more items. You also have the option to view all items at once in one long list. This is called the View All option. You can toggle these views by clicking the View All/View as Pages button in the local toolbar. The button displays the opposite of whatever view is currently activated (e.g., If the View All option is currently active, the button shows View as Pages to indicate that if clicked, the button will switch the window pane to the View as Pages option).
You can open any file in the list to view or modify it in an editor. You can open the file in the Analyzer interface or in the Flare project.
to open the file in the analyzer interface
Double-click the file in the window pane. The benefit of using this method is that it is quick and convenient. You have access to the features normally available in the editor (but not necessarily to all of the features available elsewhere in Flare).
to open the file in flare
- In the window pane, click on the file.
- Select File>Send to Flare.
The benefit of using this method is that you have access to all of the features in the application, not just those available from the editor.
In the window pane, select all variable occurrences that you want to rename. If you want to select all rows click . You can hold the SHIFT key to select a range, or you can hold the CTRL key to select individual items.
Note: All variable occurrences that you select will be renamed to the same variable that you provide in the following steps.
- In the local toolbar, click the Rename button. The Rename Variable(s) dialog opens.
- In the New variable name field, enter a new variable. Type the name of the variable set, followed by a period, then the name of the variable (e.g., MyVariableSet.MyVariableName).
- Click OK.
A message lets you know how many files were changed. Click OK. All of the selected variable occurrences are renamed.
Note: If you want to undo the conversions, you can use the Backups window pane (View>Backups).
See Restoring Backup Files.