From any location in a
- In a third-party editor, create your equation in either MathML or LaTex, and copy it.
- Open the
document or topic.
- In the XML Editor place your cursor where you want to insert the equation.
- Do one of the following, depending on the part of the user interface you are using:
- Ribbon Select the Insert ribbon. In the Symbols section select Equation.
- Keyboard Shortcut Press CTRL+E.
The Equation Editor opens.
- In the Text Editor area, paste your equation. In a moment, the Preview area will show the results.
- (Optional) In the Screen Tip field you can type a phrase that will appear when the end user hovers over the equation. If you want to insert a variable, you can click . The variable will appear as syntax in the field, but in the output the variable definition will be shown.
(Optional) In the Alternate Text field you can type alternate text to display when the equation is not available, such as when a disabled individual is using a screen reader. Again, you can insert a variable by clicking .
For more information see About Accessibility.
- Click OK. The equation is added to the
- Click to save your work.