Drop-down text is a feature that lets you collapse content in your topic. Let's say you have a topic that seems to be getting quite lengthy. So you decide to condense the portion of the topic that contains step-by-step procedures. When users open the topic in the output, they will see a link (also called a "drop-down hotspot"). This hotspot is the first paragraph (or a section of the first paragraph) that you condensed. It might be something like "How to create a project." When users click that hotspot, the hidden content (e.g., the actual steps to create the project) is displayed below the hotspot. When users click the hotspot again, the content becomes hidden once more.
This is an example of drop-down text. If you click on the drop-down hotspot ("Example") again, this drop-down text will become hidden once more.
You can do the following with drop-down text:
- Insert You can create a new drop-down effect in the XML Editor in Flare. See Inserting Drop-Down Text .
- Create in FrameMaker These steps show you how to create a new drop-down effect in a FrameMaker source document (if you plan to import that document into Flare). After you import the document, the drop-down effect will automatically be created in the XML Editor. See Creating Drop-Down Effects in FrameMaker Source Documents.
- Edit You can change the style and content for a drop-down effect. See Editing Drop-Down Text.
- Remove/Unbind You can remove (or "unbind") a drop-down effect so that it is displayed as normal text. See Removing/Unbinding Drop-Down Text.
- Delete You can delete a drop-down effect, therefore removing all of its text from the topic. See Deleting Drop-Down Text.