Feedback is a live documentation reporting service that works in conjunction with Flare to provide Web 2.0 community benefits for your online output—including integrated user comments and statistics such as search keywords used and topics visited. Most of these benefits are available not only for Web-based Help (e.g., WebHelp, HTML5, and WebHelp Plus), but also for desktop Help (e.g., Microsoft HTML Help).
Note: The topics in this Help system related to MadCap Feedback are intended for existing customers of Feedback. That product is no longer available for sale. It has been replaced by MadCap Pulse, which is similar, but is newer and offers a more complete solution for incorporating social collaboration in your output. See About MadCap Pulse.
- Feedback Server With MadCap Feedback Server, you install the necessary software on your own hardware to host the Feedback data. By using the MadCap Feedback Server Admin, your system administrator can enter the appropriate server information, create the necessary SQL database, and perform maintenance tasks such as scheduling automated backups of the data. Authors can use the Feedback license keys that are issued as needed for their various targets and projects. The Flare output files can be hosted on the same server hosting the Feedback data, but it is not mandatory; the output files can be published anywhere you like.
- Feedback Service With MadCap Feedback Service, there is no need to purchase your own hardware or host the Feedback statistics. MadCap Software does the hosting for you. This does not mean, however, that you publish the output files to MadCap Software's server. Instead, you publish the output files to your own server or anywhere else that you choose. Even if you have attached your online output to a desktop application, you can still take advantage of the Feedback features. The number of Feedback license keys issued depends on the number that you purchase.
Following are some of the features of MadCap Feedback:
- Retrieve, incorporate, and reply to user comments into your online output.
- View topic ratings.
- See search keywords entered by users, including terms that did not return results for readers.
- Add synonyms to enhance search results.
- View multi-color, multi-shape Feedback charts for your statistics.
- Use Feedback Explorer to see and track all reader activity with a user-friendly interface.
- Subscribe to a periodic email manifest (i.e., summary) to keep track of user activity.
The following will help you get started quickly with Feedback:
- Getting Set Up Check out the basic steps that are necessary for configuring your system and using Feedback. See Getting Set Up with MadCap Feedback.
- Features and Benefits Take a look at the many tasks that you can accomplish with Feedback. See Features and Benefits of MadCap Feedback.
- Feedback Explorer Feedback Explorer provides an interface that is used to view and track all reader activity in your online output. This is a standalone application that is separate from Flare. It displays user activity for the most recently opened Feedback file (which is associated with a target/license combination in Flare).
For more information see the online Help provided with MadCap Feedback Explorer.
Note: The MadCap Feedback Server and Service are purchased separately from MadCap Flare.
Note: When testing Feedback, make sure you are entering comments in the output that you generate, rather than in the Feedback incorporated into Flare. Otherwise, the comments will be sent to the Flare documentation team, rather than to you.