Following are issues that may occur when working with topics in Flare.
- "Object reference not set to an instance of object" error occurs when renaming a topic
"Object reference not set to an instance of object" error occurs when renaming a topic
When renaming a topic Flare displays the following error message:
Operation rename failed: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" when renaming a topic.
If the topic is renamed, all links to that topic are lost.
Cause and Solution
This problem can have one of the following causes.
The Flare application data has become corrupted.
Delete the contents of the Flare application data folder. Perform the following steps.
- Close the Flare project.
- Navigate to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MadCap Software\Flare in the Windows Explorer.
- Delete the contents of the Flare folder.
- Reopen the Flare project and rename the topic.
The window layout needs to be reset.
- Select the Window ribbon. In the Window Layout section select Reset Layout. The window pane layout will reset to default.
- Rename the topic.